Teghout copper and molybdenum deposit (2011)
Teghout copper and molybdenum deposit
Risk Level: 3
|Cu, mg/kg soil||3549||3|
|Mo, mg/kg soil||215||3|
|S, mg/kg, soil||37064||3|
|Disastrous Condition||Critical Condition||Normal Condition|
Teghout Copper and Molybdenum Mine Development Causes Disastrous Condition for Human Health and Environment
The reserves of Teghout copper and molybdenum mine as approved by the USSR State Reserve Committee are as follows:
· reserves of B+C1category ore - 453.796 million tons, C2 category – 5.448 million tons
· reserves of B+C1category copper – 1609.7 thousand tons, C2 category – 20.5 thousand tons,
· copper concentration in ore: B+C1categories – 0.356%, C2 category – 0.376%, B+C1+C2 categories jointly – 0.3562%,
· reserves of B+C1category molybdenum – 97.9432 thousand tons, C2 category – 1.1736 thousand tons,
· molybdenum concentration in ore: B+C1 categories – 0.0216%, C2 category – 0.0215%, B+C1+C2 categories jointly – 0.0216%,
· sulfur: B+C1 categories – 16833.6 thousand tons, C2 category – 187.9 thousand tons,
· sulfur concentration in ore: B+C1 categories 3.71%, C2 category – 3.45%, B+C1+C2 categories jointly - 3,70%,
· gold: reserves of C2 category make up 4776.2 kg, concentration – 0.6g/t (gold in 7.96 million tons of ore)
· silver: reserves of C2 category make up 303.8 tons, concentration – 31.7 g/t (silver in 9.5836 million tons of ore).
Teghout copper and molybdenum mine is located in Tumanyan area, Lori Region, 3.5 km south-east from Teghout village. These data are taken from the book by Hrachya Avagyan, Chief Specialist at the Institute of Economics of NAS RA, Dr in Geological Sciences, entitled “Ways and Prospects of Mining and Metallurgical Industries in the Republic of Armenia” (Yerevan 2011, “Gitutyun” Publishing House, Institute of Economics of NAS RA).
Open pit mining poses high risks for environment and health. Under EcoLur’s Ecological Risk Model, the mine hazard category is 3, i.e. causes disastrous condition to human health and environment due to the excessive concentrations of copper, molybdenum and sulfur.
Under the official information provided by Energy and Natural Resources Ministry, as of 01.07.2013 the right to soil management of Teghout copper and molybdenum mine for mining has been issued to “Teghout” CJSC, a part of “Vallex” Company Group.