"Teghout" CJSC developing Teghout copper and molybdenum mine is denying the news about the construction of the new tailing tump. The company is assuring that it will reinforce the dam under the tailing dump and it may also construct a dam in the new area designed for the tailing dump.
Below is the Q&A between EcoLur and "Teghout" CJSC:
1. Whether geological and technical works and lab experiments are carried out to improve the sustainability of the dam of the tailing dump and what kind of projects are designed based on them?
The improvement of the sustainability of the dam in the tailing dump or the construction of a tailing dump, in general, supposes a solution of a number of technical problems, including the design of a comprehensive architectural project.
As a result of the implemented latest geotechnical research, the company has obtained information about the risks connected with the 'workability' of the tailing dump. The obtained data have been discussed with different specialists in this sector once again to validate the availability of the diagnosed risks. Currently, the company intends to involve an organization with an international reputation and is currently relevant running negotiations for this purpose.
After obtaining the aforementioned result, the next step of the company will be the development of project design documentation (including construction) based on the proposed technical solution in the procedure prescribed by RA legislation.
2. Whether “Teghout” CJSC intends to construct a new tailing dump, if yes, please, inform us where it is planned to construct the new tailing dump, how many hectares of area it will occupy, what its capacity will be, for how many years it is planned and whether new tree felling is planned for the new tailing dump?
First of all, in order to avoid further misunderstanding and misapprehension we should outline that we don't speak about the construction of a new tailing dump, but a new-area dam in the area designed for the existing tailing dump. That is, we don't speak about the increase of the land areas for the tailing dump, while probable tree felling will be carried out exclusively within the frames of the existing deforestation program. Moreover, the construction of a new-area dam is observed as only one probable version for the solution of the emerged problems (one of the options). Nevertheless, at this moment we can say if the option of constructing a new-area dam of the tailing dump is substantiated with a relevant deep analysis, it is planned to be constructed in a section of the area designed for the existing tailing dump in the same gorge a bit upper the current.
3. What is the fate of the current tailing dump in case a new one is constructed?
Any option of the solution presupposes improvement in the sustainability of the dam of the existing tailing dump to meet the requirements of the Armenian legislation towards hydrotechnical structures (including seismic requirements). At this moment, it can be stated that the dam of this tailing dump will be reinforced.
4. Please, provide Teghout ore dressing combine construction and operation plans, as well as Teghout copper and molybdenum mining environmental management plans.
As a result of continuous work for over 6 years, the operation of the company has been recognized as compliant with ISO 14001:2004 (Environmental Management Systems) and BS OHSAS 18001:2007 (Occupational health and safety management systems) standards and the company has been issued relevant certificates.
5. Whether Teghout tailing dump has a safety passport. If yes, please, provide the copy of the passport and technical instructions of Teghout tailing dump operation.
In 2015 the company drafted and submitted to RA Territorial Administration Ministry and RA Ministry for Emergency States the certificate of the technical safety of Teghout tailing dump, based on which it was registered in the register of industrial dangerous objects.
11:38 August 30, 2018