The governmental privileges to the fish breeding project in Lake Sevan continue: on 13 July the executive reached a decision to provide land areas of 'Sevan Trout' and 'Sevan Aqua' Companies dealing with fish breeding in Lake Sevan with a right to site development without holding any contest. A land area of 21.8 ha will be provided to 'Sevan Trout' CJSC for a term of three years and a right to site development in the economic zone of Sevan National Park - in the administrative area of Karchaghbyur Community. In this area, the company plans to carry out Sevan Trout young fish letting out process, as well as reproduction and milking of the fish returning for spawning.
'Sevan Aqua' CJSC will be provided an area of 1.9466 ha with a right to site development for a term of 25 years in the recreation zone of Sevan National Park – in the administrative area of Ltchap community. This land area is provided to ensure the service of the second cage net economy. 'Sevan Aqua' plans to install 12 more model cage net fish farming economies in Lake Sevan making the number of operating cage nets 24.
It should be mentioned that on 20 April 2017 the Armenian Government reached a decision to donate 2 billion AMD to Sevan Trout reserve Recovery and Fish Breeding Development Foundation to add another cage net economy to 12 cage nets to develop fish breeding in Lake Sevan.
This project contains high risks for Lake Sevan and its biodiversity, particularly:
• Incubation of fish diseases and parasites and infection from farmed fish to wild species,
• Organic pollution generated from cage net economies,
• Chemical pollution generated from cage net economies,
• Escape of genetically different fish from cage net economies and their intersection with wild species.
• Cage nets as physical danger or obstacle for other animals.
• Mass death or escape of fish bred in farms,
• Wastes generated from the operation of fish farms.
The program plans to breed 50,000 tons of trout species in cage nets in Lake Sevan by 2024.
16:54 July 13, 2017