On 21 June the National Assembly discussed the action plan of the Armenian Government for 2017-2022: below are the environmental measures included in the governmental action plan.
In the upcoming 5 years guided by the principles of sustainable development the Armenian Government shall take such measures, which will exclude the overexploitation of natural resources, will minimize the negative impacts on environment, human health and life, will ensure prevention or reduction of environmental pollution, complex management of natural resources and supervision over them.
- By 2017 to sustain the system of environmental supervision to proceed to offence prevention from response to consequences,
- In 2017-2018 to introduce a unified management system for environmental preservation to aggregate the functions of RA Nature Protection Ministry,
- Within 2018 to review the legislation on environmental impact assessment and expertise taking into consideration internationally accepted criteria,
- By the end of 2018 to introduce a unified electronic system for the provision of permits (licenses) in the sector of nature management,
- By the end of 2019 to form a unified state environmental monitoring and information system,
For the purpose of water resource preservation and sustainable use, the Armenian Government plans:
- In 2017 to adopt environmental impact assessment criteria for SHPP construction and operation,
For the purpose of preserving the ecological balance of Lake Sevan, the Armenian Government plans:
- In 2017-2022 in harmony with legislative regulations to carry out continuous recovery and preservation of the ecological balance of Lake Sevan, as well as to implement new mechanisms for the organization of shore-cleaning works,
- By the end of 2019 to adopt Sevan National Park Development Concept Paper and Management Plan,
- In 2018 to adopt National Adaptation Programme, NAP, for climate change adaptability,
- By the end of 2017 to adopt a management concept paper of reclaiming fund for the purpose of targeted use of the funds allocated for the preservation of environment by soil managements and the recovery of disturbed land areas,
For the purpose of biodiversity conservation, the Armenian Government plans:
- By the end of 2017 to design the national center for biodiversity conservation and environmental education based on Botanical Garden in Yerevan and in 2018-2022 to establish the national center for biodiversity conservation and environmental education based on Botanical Garden in Yerevan,
- By the end of 2018 to adopt a concept paper and an action plan for the introduction of the system on the prevention of illegal forest felling with the use of modern technologies,
- In 2019-2022 to implement the elimination of obsolete pest burial site in Nubarashen and neutralization of land areas polluted with persistent organic pollutants in line with the international commitments,
- In 2019-2022 to establish and execute financial mechanisms established on the partnership of state and private sector, including environmental foundations.
18:39 June 21, 2017