Gladzor Mine Development Again on Agenda

Gladzor Mine Development Again on Agenda

EcoLur

The court hearing on Gladzor polymetallic mine case will be held at Administrative Court at 16:30 on 25 April. 'Vayq Metal' LLC is appealing the negative opinions issued to the EIA of Gladzor polymetallic open mine. The respondents are RA Nature Protection Ministry and RA Energy Infrastructure and Natural Resource Ministry.

This positive opinion takes into consdieration the opposition of the communities. During the discussion held at Yerevan Aarhus Center on 13 April the representatives of Gladzor and Vernashen Communities expressed their concerns that 'Vayq Metal' LLC will take measures for mine development.

As Vernashen Community Head Miqayel Baghdasaryan presented, the mining will result in the contamination of drinking and irrigation water in the community, pastures and will cause damage to agricultural production.
Hakob Sanasaryan, President of Greens Union of Armenia, said there is dispersed uranium in the area of Gladzor mine. Nevertheless, the projects don't mention about radioactive elements so as people are not afraid. 'The projects don't contain mercury and radioactive elements, thorium, uranium etc. It's hidden even from the experts, which shall later make a decision,' Hkob Sanasaryan noted.

'Environmental Impact Expert Assessment Center' SNCO Expert Karine Movsisyan presented the negative opinion, which was based on the following:

• Not submitting complex of measures needed to exclude the probable impact of the mine on 'Yeghegnadzor' reserve,

• Envisaging to mine around 0.6 per cent of the approved reserves in an open cast manner, meanwhile complex documentation should have been submitted, including the other 99.4 per cent of the mine,

• Absence of thorough examination of hydrogeological conditions and probable impact on springs,

• The negative opinions of Vernashen and Gladzor communities.

17:54 April 13, 2017


Hot Spots


Regions


Subscription

Subscribe to receive our latest news