Gladzor and Vernashen villagers protected their green rights in their fights against 'Vayq Metal' Company.
In 2016 'Vayq Metal' Company submitted a project to 'Environmental Impact Expert Assessment Center' SNCO of RA Nature Protection Ministry for opencast and closed mining of Gladzor mining project.
The locals opposed to the mining project substantiating it with the following risks:
- VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO LIVE IN HEALTHY ENVIRONMENT- pollution of soil, water resources and agroproducts with heavy metals,
- VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO CHOOSE ONE'S OWN ACTIVITIES – obstacles to agriculture and tourism development
- VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO HEALTH – contamination with heavy and toxic elements
- VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO PROPERTY - community-owned land areas shall be handed for the company's project infrastructures,
- VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO ACCESS TO INFORMATION – the absence of proper notification about public discussions
- VIOLATION OF RIGHT TO PARTICIPATION IN DECISION-MAKING PROCESS - the absence of proper notification about public discussions
The following actions have been carried out to restitute the rights of the residents:
- Increase in awareness of green rights among the population by EcoLur Informational NGO,
- Legal consultation,
- The community actively enforced its right to take part in the decision-making process and voted against the mining project,
- Letter-application of the participants of the public hearings addressed to the competent body - 'Environmental Impact Expert Assessment Center' SNCO of RA Nature Protection Ministry and RA Administrative Court on recognizing the community as the third party in the litigation,
- Holding a protest demonstration against driving heavy machinery into the community area,
- Formation of public opinion on the free selection of community development directions through mass media and social networks,
- Adoption of a resolution by the newly elected Aldermen's Council of Gladzor Community against mining.
Residents' green rights have been restituted.
RA Nature Protection Ministry rejected Gladzor polymetallic mining project.
20:41 March 14, 2018