The new draft resolution of RA Nature Protection Ministry 'On Approving Environmental Impact Assessment Criteria of Small Hydropower Plant Construction and Operation' proposes to ban the construction of SHPPs given the impact on environment on the following rivers and tributaries: Gavaraget, Tsakqar, Litchq, Kartchaghbyur (Maqenis), Masrik, Vardenis, Argitchi, Martuni, Dzknaget, Hrazdan, Aghstev, Akhuryan, Vorotan, Arpa, Dzoraget, Yeghegis, Azat, Martz, Gosh, Meghriget rivers and Kaputjugh and Qajarants tributaries to the Voghji River. SHPPs having already been issued water usage permits are an exception. These rivers have been selected based on the following criteria:
• Rivers, which are endemic, i.e. they are spawning sites of the fish species inherent to the area of Armenia, or there are red-listed fish species in the river basins,
• Rivers, which have overload of derivation pipelines of 40% and over,
• River sections, where the factual water flow doesn't exceed the magnitude of environmental flow,
• Water ecosystem sanitary preservation zones, the criteria of which have been set by Point 3 of the Appendix to the governmental resolution of the Republic of Armenia № 64 dated on 20 January 2005,
• Areas of river flow formation, the criteria of which have been set by Points 4 ((b)&(C)) 3 of the Appendix to the governmental resolution of the Republic of Armenia № 64 dated on 20 January 2005,
• Areas adjacent to monuments of nature with a diameter of 150 meters.
It's banned to extend water usage permit term of the SHPPs constructed on the aforementioned rivers.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
18:03 May 23, 2017