In the frames of "Supporting New Reforms in SHPP Sector through CSO-Government Dialogue" project, the expert group visited "Lernapat HPP-1" SHPP, which is located in the administrative area of Lernapat Community, Lori Region, Armenia. The SHPP is constructed on the Gharachoban Tributary to the Lernajur River. "Lernapat HPP-1" SHPP is operated by "Lernapati Kantegh" LLC. As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
• "Lernapat HPP-1" SHPP has been developed since May 2008.
• There are noncompliance between water intake and water discharge coordinates. According to the water usage permit, SHPP water intake coordinates are Х=44020'34.1'', Y=40047'19.4'', according to the water usage permit the mark of the upper canal pound is H=1639.0m, while Public Service Regulatory Committee says it's 1684m. Water discharge coordinates are X=44022'30,2'', Y=40048'04,1'', the mark of the lower canal pound is H=1496.0; according to the water usage permit and 1538.5m according to the Public Service Regulatory Committee.
• According to the project, the static pressure of the SHPP is 145.5 m, while according to the certificate issued by the Public Services Regulatory Committee on 1 April 2017, it's 115.3m. According to the project and the PSRC certificate, the estimated yield used by the SHPP is 0.6 m3/s. According to the project and the PSRC certificate, the projected capacity is 549 kW. According to the PSRC certificate issued on 1 April 2017, the factual useful delivery of the electricity is 0.98750175 million kWh, the estimated production of the SHPP is missing in the project, duration of SHPP license - 07.05.2008- 07.05.2023, water usage permit - 23.09.2016-07.05.2023.
• According to the project, the height of the concrete dam is 2.6 m and its length is 12.4 m.
• There is a stair-like concrete fish passway in the SHPP head section constructed with metallic tinplate around 6.78 m long, 1.10-1,25 meters wide and 3.2 meters high. There are 7 stairs, each of which forms a small pond 110 cm long, 110-125 cm wide and 100 cm high. The height of water column in these sections makes up 30-40 cm. The height of the first stair of the fish passway is 35 cm. In general, the fish passway constructed in the head section can't ensure natural movement of the fish inhabiting in the river.
• There is garbage-collecting net 3.30 cm long and 4.30 m wide, and the distance between its bars is 7-8 cm. Such distance between the bars cant prevent that the fish up to 25 cm dont appear on the other side of the net.
• You can meet the following fish species in the part of the river, where SHPP head section is constructed: brown trout (Salmo trutta fario), Prussian Carp (Carassius gibelio), which has accidentally adapted to climate from the trout fish farms located up the head section, which currently don't operate. In the lower reach of the river, down the head section, you can meet the South Caspian Sprilin (Alburnoides eichwaldii), Capoeta sp. and Kura barbell (Barbus lacerta).
Note: there are 10 small fish-farming ponds in the area developed by "Lernapat HPP-1" SHPP, which get their water supply from river, while used water was filled back into the river without any obstacles and treatment.At the moment of observation, there were the following fish species in these ponds: carp, grass carp, wels catfish, Prussian carp (which was filled as forage in the pond of the wels catfish), sterlet, rainbow trout, brown trout. The caro and grass carp were massively infected with different, including infectious diseases (red spot disease, rubella, peptic ulcer disease, fungi etc), which are potential infection hazard for the local river species, especially for rainbow trout.
• The length of SHPP metallic pipeline is 3180m, while its diameter is 600mm, according to the project. Reclaiming has been carried out.
• According to the water usage permit, "Lernapat HPP-1" SHPP can carry out water intake of 15.34 million cum within 12 months ensuring the environmental flow of 0.05 cum/s in the Gharachoban River.
• Automated management of environmental flow is not ensured.
• There is no water-meter for the calculation of the environmental flow.
• There are two hydroaggregates of local production installed in the SHPP building, nevertheless, the SHPP doesn't ensure its projected capacity because of their low effectiveness.
• The transformer substation is fenced, there are two transformers installed, which are not equipped with oil-collecting system.
• According to 'Computation Center' CJSC data, "Lernapat HPP-1" SHPP operated for 12 months in 2016 producing 1042984 kW electricity.
• The station area is improved and greened.
• The SHPP has undergone environmental impact assessment.
• Requirements posed for free water usage are not ensured.
• There have been no inspections held at SHPP.
• The SHPP employs 6 people.
• The SHPP is located far from the residential area and the station noise doesn't disturb people.
1. To equip water-intake section with automated management, online supervision systems, and water-measuring devices, which will enable to regulate and control the water amount used by the SHPP and the amount of the set environmental flow. The water meter shall be sealed as prescribed.
2. The fish passway shall be reconstructed for the natural movement of the fish inhabiting in the river and non-obstacle outlet of environmental flow.
3. To equip the pressure pipeline with a finer net, which will hinder the entrance of the young fish into the pipeline.
4. To re-equip the SHPP with technically highly effective aggregates to ensure its projected capacity, which will have an entirely automated management system and will operate with less water amount.
5. To carry out the discharge of household wastewater via a water-proof well or a biotoilet.
6. To equip the transformers with an oil-collecting system.
Consultation: Because of relatively cold water it's not expedient to breed rainbow trout and other warm-loving fish species (carp, grass carp etc), as they will grow slowly, feed worse and are exposed to different diseases.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
19:11 July 12, 2017