In the frames of "Supporting New Reforms in SHPP Sector through CSO-Government Dialogue" project, the expert group visited "Haghpat 1" SHPP, which is located in the administrative area of Haghpat Community, Lori Region, Armenia. The SHPP uses 200 l/s yield of irrigation water of Haghpat Community and doesn't operate in the irrigation system. "Haghpat1" SHPP is operated by "Ost-L" LLC, which also operates "Haghpat 2" SHPP. Both SHPPs are of cascade type, and the water used by "Haghpat1" SHPP is discharged to the water intake section of "Haghpat2" SHPP.
As a result of the monitoring, the expert group found out:
· The water used by "Haghpat1" SHPP is discharged to the water intake section of "Haghpat2" SHPP.
· The SHPP uses 200 l/s yield of irrigation water of Haghpat Community and doesn't operate in the irrigation system.
· According to the water usage permit, the SHPP can't carry out water intake from April to September.
· According to the project, the SHPP carried out water intake from the dam water intake section of the irrigation system located at the level of 1110 meters (according to the PSRC, it's 1133 meters) from the points where Kistum and Ajir Tributaries to the Debed river join together. The yield necessary for Haghpat 1, 200 l/s, flows into the season through the 400-millimeter-diameter pipeline in a non-irrigation season, from where the used water flows into the pond of Haghpat 2.
· According to the water use permit, the SHPP can't carry out water intake in the irrigation season, from April to September. Under the same document, the annual water intake of the SHPP is 3499.2 thousand m3, the environmental flow is 0.05 m3/s. At the moment of the monitoring, the environmental flow was factually ensured, as the station was not operating.
· According to the data provided by 'Computation Center' CJSC, in 2016 "Haghpat 1" SHPP operated for 9 months producing 483613 kWph electricity. In the irrigation season the SHPP didn't operate only in August and September, as well as it didn't operate in December.
· There is no water-meter sealed by the relevant environmental body for the calculation of the environmental flow.
· To equip water-intake section with automated management, online supervision systems, and water-measuring devices, which will enable to regulate and control the water amount used by the SHPP and the amount of the set environmental flow.
· To re-equip the SHPP with aggregates, which will have an entirely automated management system, will supervise water amount in the water intake section and operate will less amount of water.
· To equip the transformers with an oil-collecting system.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
19:05 August 28, 2017