In the frames of "Supporting New Reforms in SHPP Sector through CSO-Government Dialogue" project, the expert group visited "Benzar Energy" SHPP, which is located in the administrative area of Vorotan and Vaghatin Communities, Syunik Region, Armenia. The SHPP is constructed on the Zor-Zor Tributary to the Vorotan River (according to the PSRC, the Vaghud Tributary), the length of which is 12 km. "Benzar" SHPP is operated by "Benzar Energy" LLC.
· It is necessary to entirely reconstruct the water intake section to ensure natural flow in the riverbed, free-of-obstacle environmental flow and natural movement of the fish by cleaning the riverbed from the stones, unblocking the water way running to the river and to ensure the construction of the fish passway laid down in the project.
· Taking into consideration water demands for irrigation and other purposes (irrigation of Vorotan and Shamb Communities, “Shamb” SHPP water intake, drinking water intake), it’s necessary to review the hydroeconomic estimates as the SHPP factually ensured 150 kW capacity instead of the project 279 kW projected capacity and uses maximum 150 l/s of water amount instead of the set 520 l/s and 30 l/s water amount for around 5 months in irrigation season.
· To have water-meter equipment for online data transmission sealed by relevant water basin territorial management unit of Department for Water Resources of RA Nature Protection Ministry, through which the online transmission data will be ensured, as well as the water amount used by the SHPP and control and supervision of the environmental flow.
· To technically re-equip SHPP aggregates to control the amount of environmental flow in the water intake section.
· To equip the transformers with oil-collecting system.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
18:15 December 19, 2017