The SHPP Expert Group has developed “Action Plan Aimed To Solve Environmental Issues in Small Hydropower Arising from Hydropower Development Concept Paper in the Republic of Armenia” document.
The action plans aims to solve environmental issues present in the small hydropower sector. The action plan includes:
• Reforms in environmental impact assessment in hydropower sector
• Regulation of SHPP construction processes in specially protected areas of nature
• Effective use of water resources in river basins
• SHPP operation in compliance with the existing legislation and normative and technical documents on environment preservation in the Republic of Armenia
• Encouragement of SHPPs operating in line with the requirements of technical and environmental requirements
• Preservation of balance in river ecosystems
• Ensuring enforcement and supervision of environmental requirements in SHPP construction and operation
• Ensuring preservation of biodiversity in river ecosystems.
The performers and co-performers of this project are as follows: RA Nature Protection Ministry, RA Ministry for Energy Infrastructures and Natural Resources, RA Ministry of Emergency States, RA Ministry of Territorial Administration and Development, Public Service Regulatory committee, National Academy of Sciences of Armenia, projecting organizations and "Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue" project. Document developers were as follows: Roza Julhakyan - Head of Department of Accounting and Analysis at Nature Protection Ministry, PhD in Chemical Sciences, Heriqnaz Mkrtchyan - Chief Specialist at Environmental Expertise SNCO of Nature Protection Ministry, Nazik Chzmachyan – Leading Specialist of Basin Planning Management Department of Nature Protection Ministry, independent experts - “Sustainable Caucasus” (SCOPES) National Coordinator Armen Gevorgyan, Ichthyologist Samvel Pipoyan - Professor at Biology and Teaching Methodology Department, Khachatur Abovyan Armenian State Pedagogical University, Dr. in Biological Sciences, Inessa Gabayan – Hydrotechnical Architecture, PhD in Technical Sciences, and Lawyer Nazeli Vardanyan - Director of “Forests of Armenia” NGO.
The material was developed in the frames of “Supporting new reforms in SHPP sector through CSO-government dialogue” supported by UNDP/GEF Small Grants Programme".
14:09 February 27, 2017